Hospitalia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDirectoryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Roderich Edelstein

Roderich Edelstein

Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino] Empty
PostSubject: Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]   Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino] EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 7:17 pm

It was a busy day in the cafeteria, and Roderich was busy mentally pummeling himself for not packing extra food that morning.

Normally, when he had to work extended hours, he made sure to bring more than one microwavable meal to heat up in his office. Last night, though, the practice with the orchestra he was involved in had run later than usual and he'd been too tired to think of it when he'd gotten home. Originally he'd figured he'd just skip dinner outright, but he'd gotten a bit too lightheaded to go along with that plan.

Thus, he'd worked his way up through the line, gingerly spooning food onto his plate and sniffing it suspiciously, glaring at the cooks when they didn't answer his inquiries right away about whether they'd bothered to sample the temperature of the food and how long it'd been left to sit after defrosting. Deciding that the stuff was at least unlikely to poison him, he walked off, looking for a place to sit.

Most of the tables were taken, even at this hour. He traversed the rows, eventually coming upon an empty seat and promptly taking it. As he pulled out his hand sanitizer and proceeded to apply it, he glanced up and realized who he was across from.

"Mr. Vargas," he said flatly. Well, this was bound to be a pleasant conversation.
Back to top Go down
http://amberspike-sama.livejournal.com
Former South Italy

Former South Italy

PostSubject: Re: Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]   Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino] EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 1:09 pm

Today…wasn’t a very good day for Lovino, but then again, with the way his life was right now, most of his days weren’t good. He was so stressed out he never really got any time to relax; the time he got to spend with Antonio minimal… And he was now running on three hours of sleep and starting to wind down. …Which was why he stopped by Feliciano’s room, forced food on him, and left to go to the cafeteria. A cafeteria that was mostly packed.

After grabbing a small pastry and a cup of coffee, Lovino navigated through the cafeteria, grabbing one of the first available tables he saw. Human interaction was something he tried to avoid, but the cafeteria seemed to have better coffee than the shit served in the break room. …It was worth the risk of being stopped and forced to…socialize.

The Italian leaned back in his chair, swirling the creamer into his cup of coffee as his eyes darted around the room. Was there something about his that people didn’t like? Something that kept them away from him? He wasn’t really complaining, but in the last five minutes there were six people that passed his table; none of them interested in sitting with him.

He looked back down at his food and broke off a chunk. It was right after the chunk slipped past his lips that he noticed a shadow on the table and… Shit. Why the hell did he have to sit here? Lovino wasn’t too fond of the doctor and often went out of his way to avoid the man… and here he was sitting across the table. How the hall did this happen? The Italian quickly swallowed his food and cursed under his breath.

“Don't call me Mr. Vargas. That's the old man.”

Back to top Go down
Roderich Edelstein

Roderich Edelstein

PostSubject: Re: Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]   Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino] EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 12:46 am

"Sorry," Roderich said, rolling his eyes. "Lovino. Quite a healthy snack you have there, I see."

He motioned to the sole pastry. It was a hypocritical jab, really, as Roderich was often guilty of snacking on such things himself. It was a habit that he didn't particularly like, as he knew full well what kind of ailments it made him more susceptible to, but...it did make him feel better when he was stressed, which happened fairly frequently. At least he didn't really gain any weight from it, he supposed.

He gave his plastic silverware a few good wipes with his napkin, then set to picking at his meal. The green beans looked a bit nasty, but judging by the temperature and state of them, they'd probably been microwaved long enough to render them edible. The chicken, on the other hand...well, he might skip that. Or just bite along the edges. It seemed a bit cold on the inside now that he was able to cut it apart and stick a finger inside...
Back to top Go down
Former South Italy

Former South Italy

PostSubject: Re: Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]   Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino] EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 2:16 pm

“I already ate,” the Italian grumbled, poking at his pastry, his appetite barely affected by the Austrian’s comments. He really needed to learn how to ignore the people he didn’t like. He broke his pastry and took another bite. “This is just to help me through the rest of my shift.”

He leaned back in his seat, eying the doctor’s food.
“And your food looks barely edible. At least mine tastes good.” This wasn’t actually a lie. The pastry wasn’t too bad and at least this time it wasn’t stale. He remembered the last time he had gotten a stale pastry from here… A shiver ran down his spine at the thought and his frown grew a bit bigger. He didn’t want to think about the food here too much; he was likely to get sick just thinking about everything that was wrong with this food.

There were so many things that could happen to the food…and rumor had it Roderich hated…. Lovino’s thoughts trailed off.
“I don’t even want to know what’s happened to your food while it was prepared. At least mine came out of a plastic bag.”
Back to top Go down
Roderich Edelstein

Roderich Edelstein

PostSubject: Re: Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]   Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino] EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 2:50 pm

"Most of it merely looks that way because it was reheated," Roderich insisted, partly for Lovi's benefit and partly to bolster the notion in his own mind. "The likelihood of it actually harboring something dangerous is not high."

Still, he took to carefully cutting his chicken into tiny pieces, pushing the coldest parts to the edge of his plate, and he had to try not to wince as he brought a smidgen of the rest to his lips. Hmm...it tasted fine enough, albeit a bit rubbery. The vegetables were sour, though probably not lethal, so...he ate stone-facedly, eyeing Lovino.

"When does your shift end?" he asked. "I'm here until seven-thirty, unfortunately."
Back to top Go down
Former South Italy

Former South Italy

PostSubject: Re: Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]   Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino] EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 6:13 am

“You sure any bugs didn’t crawl over it or anything?” the Italian asked, eying the food with distaste. It was obvious that Roderich didn’t like what he was eating, so why couldn’t Lovino twist him up a bit? He knew he was probably being rude, but at the moment, he didn’t care. The snob in front of him was annoying and he really had just wanted to eat his meal in peace… “Someone could have sneezed or coughed without washing their hands…”

He took a bite of his pastry and shrugged, watching as the Austrian continued to eat. With what he said, the Italian wasn’t sure how much longer he would last…and it took a decent amount of work to keep the smirk from his lips.

“And I’m done at nine tonight,”
he replied with a frown. “A new piece of equipment’s coming in late, so I have to check it in.”
Back to top Go down
Roderich Edelstein

Roderich Edelstein

PostSubject: Re: Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]   Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino] EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 4:47 pm

"I'm sure no bugs came in contact with it," he retorted, glaring. "And even if they had, this was adequately cooked. I asked to make sure of that."

Well, he did get brisk, curt answers to his inquiries that might have not been true, only dismissive. And geez, the handwashing. The cafeteria workers had been wearing gloves when dishing out the stuff, at least, but as for when it was being cooked...it was more difficult to be sure whether they'd followed proper sanitary guidelines. He stirred his green beans pensively, weighing hunger and lightheadedness against possible risk.

"Hmm," he murmured. "I don't envy you. You've got a while to go, yet."
Back to top Go down
Former South Italy

Former South Italy

PostSubject: Re: Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]   Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino] EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 9:00 pm

“You sure about that?” he asked, breaking off another piece of his pastry to take another bite. “And even if you asked, that doesn’t mean it’s true. People lie all the time. You know that as well as I do.” The Italian bit back an insult. Roderich didn’t need an insult added to the mix, Lovino was twisting him up enough as it was. He had no idea why he was doing it. Maybe because he was in a bad mood or because the doctor always tended to rub him the wrong way…

“I know I have a while to go,” Lovino grumbled, running his fingers through his hair. “I don’t need you to remind me. Knowing I have to stay here that long is bad enough.” At least he was getting paid some overtime for it. That was enough to make him a little bit happier about having to stay here. He really wanted the extra money to take Antonio out somewhere and maybe to buy Feliciano something else to use to cure his boredom.
Back to top Go down
Roderich Edelstein

Roderich Edelstein

PostSubject: Re: Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]   Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino] EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 11:28 pm

"What exactly are you insinuating?" Roderich retorted, setting his fork down. All right, risk was taking precedence over hunger. He knew he really ought to eat a decent meal, but all the possibilities of contamination were really starting to make him nauseous. Honestly, why did Lovino have to get his imagination going?

"And I am really starting to wonder--are you ever in a pleasant mood?" he asked, irritated. "Every time I see you, you're awfully snappish and depressed. Perhaps you should look into treatment for that."
Back to top Go down
Former South Italy

Former South Italy

PostSubject: Re: Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]   Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino] EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 7:02 pm

“This hospital isn’t the best place to work. What the hell else would I mean?” the Italian replied with a frown, leaning back in his seat as he poked his pastry again. He took another bite and a sip of his coffee, trying to look nonchalant.

…Though that thought was out of his head a moment later, replaced by a frown that only deepened. “Does it really matter if I am or not?” Lovino questioned, shooting Roderich a glare. The Austrian had no idea what Lovino was going through. “Just avoid me if you don’t like the way I act. It’s not like I invited you to sit here.”
Back to top Go down
Roderich Edelstein

Roderich Edelstein

PostSubject: Re: Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]   Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino] EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 10:16 pm

"You could at least allow me to eat my meal," he said. "Without attempting to disgust me."

He pushed the tray somewhat away from him. "It matters because it's quite annoying to everyone you happen to interact with. Well, perhaps not Dr. Carrideo, but I'm inclined to doubt that anything can annoy him. And no, you didn't invite me, but seeing as we're both decent, reasonable human beings, I'd figured we could at least stand each other's presence for a time. Perhaps I was wrong."

He sighed, crossing his arms. He really didn't understand what Lovino's problem was...
Back to top Go down
Former South Italy

Former South Italy

PostSubject: Re: Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]   Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino] EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 4:41 pm

The Italian scowled and rolled his eyes. “You ever stop to think that I don’t want people to talk to me?” he asked, poking his food. “I just want to do my job and go home. I don’t feel like having to deal with you people if I don’t have to.” He leaned back in his seat, eying Roderich. “If I wanted to deal with people, I would have become a doctor. I work with machines for a reason.”

He bit back a comment about how Antonio didn’t seem to mind him. Would the idiot be dating him if he was annoying? Lovino didn’t seem to think he would, but… With Antonio…

His face fell a bit at the comment and he poked at his food, suddenly disinterested in it. He lost his appetite after thinking that Antonio could have thought he was annoying… His eyes narrowed into a glare, sent into the Austrian’s direction. “You should have picked a different table to sit at, idiot.”
Back to top Go down
Roderich Edelstein

Roderich Edelstein

PostSubject: Re: Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]   Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino] EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 12:19 pm

"That's no attitude to have in an institution full of people. If that's your attitude, perhaps you should have become an accountant or something, taken some desk job where you'd be alone much of the time."

It was obvious that he'd hurt Lovino's feelings with the Antonio jab, and for a moment he didn't regret it. But his crestfallen expression managed to drag some measure of Roderich's conscience into play, and he remarked, "Well, scratch that. I'm sure some things must bother him, though they'd likely have to be the result of someone deliberately pestering him. Which is the furthest thing from your actions. From what I've seen, he normally has to go to you."

And in response to the insult: "I simply didn't feel like wandering the cafeteria for a while. I didn't seek you out deliberately, you know."
Back to top Go down
Former South Italy

Former South Italy

PostSubject: Re: Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]   Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino] EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 1:58 pm

The Italian frowned and wrapped his pastry back up. Maybe it'd be better to go eat somewhere else... Maybe Antonio would be eating sometime soon or something... It'd be better than eating here with Roderich. And he needed to go talk to the Spaniard to find out if he really thought Lovino was annoying. The Italian doubted that, but... Now that Roderich had suggested it, Lovino couldn't get it out of his mind. It was all the damn Austrian's fault.

"He won't leave me alone," Lovino murmured, his voice sounding a bit happier than normal. Talking about Antonio, unfortunately, made him do that even if he didn't want it to. Maybe it was a part of being in love? Lovino wasn't sure, but it could be annoying at times. "He doesn't know how to take no for an answer, damn it. And I haven't managed to find any ways to annoy him yet, so maybe he doesn't..."

He ran his fingers through his hair and sighed.
"Well, I guess that's something I should be grateful for."
Back to top Go down
Roderich Edelstein

Roderich Edelstein

PostSubject: Re: Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]   Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino] EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 3:32 pm

"He doesn't," Roderich agreed. Even he had had experience with that--Antonio had the habit of personally presenting him with cases and then proceeding to refuse to leave him alone until he looked at them, even if they were obvious and barely worth his time (like the extrapulmonary tuberculosis patient from last week. Did he really need to take five minutes to walk down to the man's room and tell the nurses what tests to run? It was TB, damn it.)

"Somehow, I think that if you did, he would take them more as a challenge than a discouragement. He's persistent like that." And certainly Lovino and Antonio's relationship wouldn't be possible if Antonio wasn't incredibly, almost ruthlessly persistent. Lovino had that to be grateful for as well, Roderich supposed.
Back to top Go down
Former South Italy

Former South Italy

PostSubject: Re: Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]   Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino] EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 2:05 am

The Italian sighed, slowly beginning to feel a bit better about the topic of the conversation. Now that they were talking about Antonio, Lovino could start to relax a bit. It was easy to talk about the idiot and for some unknown reason, Lovino actually enjoyed it. He still didn’t know why he enjoyed it, but… Just thinking about Antonio could make his day a lot better… It must have been his stupidity rubbing off on him. Or that weird thing he called a “Cheer up charm”. Seriously. What the hell was that?

Lovino took another sip of his coffee and nodded. “He would,” the Italian agreed with a sigh. “He tends to be annoying like that.” He sighed. But that’s what made Lovino like him so much. He never seemed to be satisfied when he could tell Lovino was lying. The Italian put his cup back down. “You’ve had to deal with him a few times?”
Back to top Go down
Roderich Edelstein

Roderich Edelstein

PostSubject: Re: Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]   Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino] EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 3:34 pm

Roderich nodded, resting his chin in his hand. "Whenever he has a diseased patient that he's having the slightest trouble diagnosing, he thinks that's my jurisdiction. Moreover, he thinks I have to take the time to go see them, and more often than not it ends up being something obvious that he could have easily confirmed himself... I have the sense that in those instances, he knows that, and just wants to use me to make absolutely sure. Which I appreciate in principle, but I don't have the time for. He needs not to care so much..."

It was dangerous to, Roderich thought, at least for someone like himself. Antonio, on the other hand, seemed to have troubles and guilt slide off of him as easily as rain. He wasn't sure how he managed that.
Back to top Go down
Former South Italy

Former South Italy

PostSubject: Re: Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]   Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino] EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 12:47 pm

It sounded like there were more than a few times where Antonio went to Roderich for help and after the Austrian kept going on about it, Lovino could see why the doctor was annoyed. The Italian would feel the same way if the Spaniard went to him all the time for questions like those. “Telling that idiot not to care is like telling a pig to sprout wings and fly. It’s not going to happen.” He paused for a moment, his fingers moving to break another piece from the pastry. He might not have been really hungry at the moment, but his hands needed something to do.

“If you want him to leave you alone, try ignoring him or telling him to go somewhere else.” His answer was simple, and not entirely effective, but there was nothing else he could think of telling the Austrian.
Back to top Go down
Roderich Edelstein

Roderich Edelstein

PostSubject: Re: Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]   Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino] EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 9:53 pm

"It's very difficult to ignore him," Roderich said. "And he very rarely listens. He's so cheerful and I know he has the best intentions, so oftentimes I end up giving in if only not to hurt his feelings. Which is silly, of course, but..."

He gave a light, resigned sound. "There's some people you just can't get truly angry at--you just have to put up with them. Like how we have to put up with each other's presences, if only because we happen to work in the same place and owe it to others to not be at each other's throats."
Back to top Go down
Former South Italy

Former South Italy

PostSubject: Re: Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]   Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino] EmptySat May 28, 2011 2:09 pm

"Ignoring him van be difficult, but if you can do it long enough, he eventually leaves you alone," the Italian replied, rolling his eyes. He looked at Roderich for a moment, surprised by his last statement. The doctor in front of him actually cared about hurting other people's feelings? The Italian had to be hearing things... Or, Hell just froze over. The first option seemed to be better than the other two. "And if he gets hurt, he bounces back pretty easily; just give him a tomato and he perks back up. It's like giving a dog a treat." He probably should have felt bad for comparing Antonio to a dog, but for some reason, the Italian couldn't really help it.

He sighed and shrugged.
"I put up with you only because I have to. My life would be so much easier if I didn't have to deal with people like you." Now, Lovino was being a bit cruel. He was honest in his response, but that didn't make his words any less harsh. "And I could care less about the others. I don't want to make my old man upset and lose my job. That's the only reason I put up with everyone."
Back to top Go down
Roderich Edelstein

Roderich Edelstein

PostSubject: Re: Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]   Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino] EmptyMon May 30, 2011 11:52 pm

"Mm, that's true. He is much like a dog in demeanor, now that I'm thinking of it."

Catching that hint of surprise, Roderich added, "I'm not heartless, you know. I know I can come across as bossy or snappish or whatever else the interns are calling me behind my back these days, but it's just because I want things done correctly. I'm used to being on high-risk cases and having to make quick judgments. I'm used to ordering people around because I need tests and procedures completed quickly and thoroughly. I don't want to create excessive friction with the staff, I just..."

He cut off, noticing that he was rambling. The subject was a bit of a sore spot with him--he'd been accused before of being inconsiderate, when in truth it was the product of him being as committed as he was to his patients. He simply got on a course of action and tended to get nervous when others didn't follow, weren't as pragmatic as he was. But Lovino didn't really need to hear all that.

"So what is the grand total...two people?" He said, meeting the cruelty with a lightly mocking tone. "Dr. Carrideo and Mr. Vargas are the only individuals working here that you care about?"
Back to top Go down
Former South Italy

Former South Italy

PostSubject: Re: Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]   Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino] EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 8:31 pm

The Italian rolled his eyes, deciding not to take the dog comparison any further. He shifted a bit in his seat, eyes focused on the doctor in front of him. It seemed like he was trying to make excuses for the way people saw him…or at least that’s what Lovino thought. “People don’t like you because you act like a prick,” he stated bluntly. Was there any reason to try to sugar coat the truth? Lovino wasn’t known for being soft and Roderich wasn’t one of his friends. “If you want people to actually like you, trying smiling once in a while. You’d be amazed at what it does.”

Lovino knew from experience that a small smile went a long way. This was why he used to use smiles to woo any young woman he came across. It worked well and he didn’t even need to give them a full smile. Part of him wondered if Roderich knew anything about charming the ladies. The thought made the Italian want to snort. Who was he kidding? Roderich didn’t seem like the type of man who cared about romance.

He sighed and rested his elbow on the table, letting his chin rest on his hand as he listened to the other.
“There are a few other people who are…all right.” There weren’t too many people on his list, but he found it was slowly growing to add more people as time went on. Maybe he was getting too attached to this place. “You’re not one of them.” He hesitated for a moment. “What about you?”
Back to top Go down
Roderich Edelstein

Roderich Edelstein

PostSubject: Re: Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]   Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino] EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 4:50 pm

Roderich started to retort, but the point following the insult was a fair one. How often did he smile over something other than one of his own remarks? The instances that came to mind were all moments wherein his logic had failed to console an upset patient. It was at such times that he forced himself to show some kindness rather than succumbing to his frustration--because getting outright mad would be anything but helpful.

"I suppose I could work on that," he conceded, albeit guardedly.

Ah, 'a few.' Perhaps Lovino wasn't as generally antisocial as he'd thought.

"Who do I care about?" He picked up his fork, stirring the green beans whose quality he'd rejected, just as his hands liked having something to do. "Well, I befriended Mr. Beilschmidt recently. I had to consult him about a surgery and found he was a pretty intelligent, respectable man. I also enjoy the company of Ms. Leveque. There are plenty of other doctors that I admire for their work and competence as well."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]   Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino] Empty

Back to top Go down

Have A Seat [Roderich and Lovino]
Page 1 of 1